Kettle Moraine Land Trust (KMLT) is searching for a Managing Director who is passionate about conservation and is committed to protecting and restoring the natural environment. Working in partnership with the Board, conservation leaders, and community stakeholders, the KMLT Managing Director serves as a strategic leader advancing conservation by implementing the Trust’s strategic land conservation plan, assisting with fundraising, and collaborating with public agencies on important conservation programs and other critical planning activities.
This is a part-time position (2-3 days/week). Much of the work can be performed remotely from a home office; however, some direct office (Elkhorn, Wisconsin) or field time is required each week.
The KMLT Managing Director reports to the Board of Directors and will lead and oversee all functions of the Trust in accordance with policies established by the Board.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The KMLT Managing Director will perform the following and other duties as assigned:
- Prepare annual plans and budgets for review and adoption by the Board of Directors, and oversee the staff to ensure that the approved work program is carried out, pursuant to the adopted budget.
- Work with the Development staff and Board to fundraise for conservation projects and education programs.
- Ensure easement and fee property management plans and inspections are carried out in a timely manner, and revise and adapt management goals as conditions warrant using best available science to obtain land management objectives.
- Ensure that the books, records, and files of the Trust are maintained in good order at all times, and that financial records are at all times in compliance with nonprofit reporting and other legal requirements.
- Oversee real estate and land acquisition transactions in compliance with the highest standards of land trust practice.
- Work in consultation with the Board to maintain/sustain accreditation status.
- 5+ years of substantive and relevant work experience, with land trust experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with fundraising for an organization or business/program function is desired.
- Experience engaging and fully utilizing a volunteer board.
- History of conservation work in working lands and high-quality natural areas, and experience with monitoring conservation easements.
- Experience working with local, county, and state public policy leaders, and an understanding of the important role of regulatory agencies and other community planning bodies.
- Experience working on land transactions and with title companies, appraisers, etc. is desired.
- Excellent communication skills, with proven ability to write and speak persuasively.
- Able to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to resolve issues in a constructive manner.
- A personable, trustworthy, and diplomatic demeanor, and impeccable integrity.
Salary is negotiable, dependent upon qualifications.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send resume and cover letter to KMLT Board President David DeAngelis: firstname.lastname@example.org